Betwixt the spattering water, bubbles, coos and toothless laugh, bath time is the absolute time of the day to feel your baby’s skin and nurture your baby-mama love connection. Although, it is a bit stressful to bathe baby- newborn or toddler. Just be more careful and follow safe baby bathing tips. You’ll see tub-time will become simple and enjoyable.
Baby Bathing- A Bonding Ritual
Bathing a baby is a real milestone. Cleaning the extra slippery, buttery smooth and always emitting body of baby is so challenging. For 6 month plus older baby you can give them a bath twice a week. However, if your baby enjoys bathing, washing him everyday will be no problem.
Bathing your baby 2-3 times a week is good for the skin of baby. But if your bath your baby more than once a day, his skin will get dry. Make sure to keep your baby’s genital areas clean all the time. For newborn baby 7-13 minutes is enough for bath. Some parents uses soaking technique to relax baby.
Use small plastic bath or simple kitchen sink to give bath to your newborn baby. In his early few weeks, Kitchen sink is perfect choice of parent regarding bathing their infants. If the atmosphere seems cold, bathe him in a warm atmosphere like in a cozy room or a warm bathtub. Use lukewarm water to bathe your baby. Make sure to keep water away from face.
Assemble the below products in the bathing area-
- Bathing tub
- Bath thermometer
- Bath toys
- Rinsing cup
- Clean washcloth or sponge
- Cotton balls
- Clean Bath Towel
- Baby Soap and Shampoo
- Lukewarm Water
- Baby powder
How to bathe baby: basic bathing steps-
Step 1: Preparing Bathing Products for your baby
- Make yourself ready. Remove jewelry, roll up your sleeves that might hurt him while holding. Get a firm grip over baby as it is a wet operation. Hold him well. Babies have soft and slippery body.
- Get Bathing Supplies Ready. Never leave the baby alone in the bathtub, so, get all bathing products available near the bathing station, like, Shampoo, Soap or bathing gel, bathing toys, Soft towel or towel with hood, Washcloths or sponge, etc.
- Fill Bathtub with 7 cm (3 inches) level of warm water: The ideal temperature of water should be 32 C and before putting your baby in tub, remember to test water by simply putting your wrists in water or using a bath thermometer.
- Add bath toys to make bath more fun and enjoyable.
- Undress baby and also remove his diaper.
Step 2: Bathe Baby
- Slowly put your baby in Tub. Support you baby’s head and neck and put him into water in such a way baby is comfortable and relaxed.
- Pour a cup of water quantity over baby. At first, use a handful of water and pour it over his head and face. Make him comfortable and let him play with bath toys. Before using soap, make sure to wet his body.
- Soak baby for about 5 minutes in lukewarm water at desired temperature.
- Clean the eyes and earlobes with moist cotton balls to get rid of residues collected there. Similarly clean his palms, in-between fingers and toes with cotton.
- Use Soap. Always use tear-free, mild soap and shampoo for your baby. Using Shampoo is optional. Gently use sponge and wash baby. Apply Soap on his scalp. Always remember to clean your baby’s face with clean wet clothes so that soap will not hurt eyes.
- At last, pour clean water gently over his head. Keep head in such a position that soap water don’t go in his eyes. Now wash his body well. Clean his ears face and hands gently.
- Wrap baby in a dry and clean towel.
- After gently drying his body use baby lotion or powder.
Step 3: At Last, Dress your baby carefully and place diaper as he will be ready for good naptime.
- It takes good practise to bathe your baby. Later, you will become an expert in cleaning him well.
- Use baby lotion, powder and rash cream after bath.
- He might feel hungry after bath, feed him well enough to ensure he will take a good nap.
- While bathing your baby make sure you keep your baby safe. Practice bathing safety tips. Watching bathing safety and cleaning videos on youtube may be of great help. Never leave your baby in the bathtub alone not even for a few seconds.
- Make him enjoy bath. Sing bath songs and play with him. Adding bubble and bath toys are always helpful.
- Cuddle him and wrap him in warm towel. For your baby Wellbeing, you should maintain the hygiene of baby with healthy diet and clean environment.
- Use wipe tissue, wet clothes to keep him clean and fresh. Pour baby powder after every bath to make him feel pleasant.
How to clean baby thoroughly-
Ears: Clean outer parts of ear of you baby with cotton balls and clean the ear wax that irritates him often. Don’t use cotton buds.
Nose: Use water to wash his nostrils so that he can breathe easily. Use baby nasal aspirator for thorough nose cleaning.
Eyes: Use moist cotton balls to clean his eyes corners and eyelids.
Face: Every time after feeding, wash his face as dirt accumulates more on face. Use wipe tissue, wet cloth or water to clean the face.
Nails: Don’t trim his nails until he becomes 2-3 months. Use nail cutter with magnifying glass to trim his nails.
Umbilical Cord: Take good care of his naval head. Use sterile cotton balls to keep it disinfected.
How to bathe a newborn baby with umbilical cord
When you bring your little bundle of joy home from the hospital, giving him sponge bath is always a safe idea. You need to be extra careful using water unless his umbilical fall off and belly button heal.
- Wipe his eyes, ears, face, toes and entire body from front to back using soapy solution. Then repeat the same steps twice or thrice with clean water until the body of baby get rid of soap.
- Wrap him in a soft clean towel.
- Feed after sponge bathing him to make him go to sleep.
Baby’s first bath
Your baby’s first bath is a special event. So, get the camera ready for this. To water bath a newborn, many hands are better than two. Newborns have slushy and mushy body. Make sure his first water bath is after the umbilical cord has fallen off . So, bathing your baby 10-12 days after birth will be okay. Till then you should keep the nappy area clean, wash face and hands
- 5-7 min bath in water is enough for a newborn. Keep the optimal water temperature to 37 degree celsius.
- Use soap solution and washcloth to scrub the baby gently. Pour clean water after you are done scrubbing. Use hands or small mug to pour water in small quantity.
- Wrap him in clean soft towel. Scrubbing with dry towel is not required.
- Diaper the baby immediately.
- You can use baby lotion and powder after bath. This is completely optional.
- Feed him well to make him go to sleep.
Its normal for infants to cry and wail during bath. It doesn’t mean water temperature is not right or you are hurting the baby. They just react to new environment or due to getting wet. Also, he is now don’t have mama snuggling him. So, nothing to worry about.
Some tricks like stroking gently on his tummy and caressing him. You can also try humming and singing to him in the bath. Soon, your baby will learn to bath and enjoy bathing.